Monday, November 6, 2017

Connections to the Outsiders

I read “Healing Brick a City” In the article “Healing Brick City” it states “I looked up at the board, and ‘Don Moses’ [was] written on the board in the trauma room. I’m like, ‘Wow, I know that name,” and right below was written the word ‘deceased.’ So, I’m sitting in there, looking at the board and thinking, ‘What are the chances that this is the Don Moses that I know?’ And unfortunately, I sprinted down to the surgical ICU3 and his body was taken away, but his family was there. It was the Don Moses that I knew from childhood.” The connection to the Outsiders is that one of Pony boys beloved friend dies (Johnny) in the hospital. This also happened to Sampson Davis. When he was working he saw his close friend on the board which means he died and was at the hospital.

The next connection I saw was “Snake and I was a part of a team that committed an armed robbery when I was 17 1/2. And I often say 17 1/2 because had I been 18, my story would have been written differently. But it was that life experience that changed me around. I was sentenced to two years’ probation.” The outsiders are based on almost Greasers. Greasers are kind of like a gang which they fight and rob just like what Sampson Davis did when he was younger. Dally was in prison for stealing, stealing, and drinking somewhat like Sampson and his friend Don Moses which he was sentenced two years probation.

Then the passage states again “When you look at mental illness, in the inner city community particularly, it’s taboo. It’s almost like, ‘I can’t say to another person that I’m depressed, because it destroys, especially as a man talking to another man, it destroys the ‘man code,’ if you will.” This connects to the Outsiders because when Johnny was in the Hospital almost dying Ponyboy gets so depressed and sick because he is scared Johnny is going to die. After Johnny dies Ponyboy is even more depressed because Johnny was his closest friend and now he doesn’t have the courage to do things but he still fights in the big rumble. The movie is somewhat similar and different to the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment